Sunday, June 30, 2013

A hike through Keswick





 




The Lakes District is an area in Northern England that's full of... you guessed it... lakes.  It's a place well known for scenic hiking trails, so I had to check it out.  To be honest, I'm really surprised at myself that it took me until the last week of study abroad to go there, especially since it's so close to Lancaster.  Penrith is the closest train station, which I then had to take a coach from to Keswick.  Keswick is the main jumping-off point for the best hikes in the northern Lakes District.  My original plan was to take a bus from Keswick to do a really famous hike a bit south of the city, but I ended up with not enough time.  I ended up just doing a trail around Keswick, which wound around Derwent Water Lake.
 
 
 

 


This is a memorial to John Ruskin, who was one of the key players to set aside Lakes District as a national park.







I must have not been paying close enough attention to the directions because I ended up getting a little lost.  It was easy enough to find my way back, though, and I made it back to the main Keswick town square with plenty of time to catch the coach back to Penrith.


this made me giggle

 

 At the end of the hike there was a climb to the top of a big hill which overlooked the lake.  Here are some of the many photos I snapped from the top:

 

 

Once I got back to Penrith, I had about an hour to kill before my train to Lancaster.  I spent it having a little picnic in the Penrith Castle ruins.
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment